The mission of the Amherst Educational Foundation (AEF) is to support Amherst area public schools in providing a challenging and enriching educational experience that maximizes the learning potential of every student and prepares them to succeed in the 21st century.
We accomplish this by:
- Engaging the community in fundraising through mobilizing broad community support for public schools
- Supporting district-wide learning initiatives
- Encouraging teacher innovation and teaching excellence
- Responding to emerging educational needs
- Fostering collaborative projects with community partners
AEF’s Values and Guiding Principles
The following values and guiding principles provide the fundamental guideposts for the routine operations, decision-making and future planning of AEF.
- All students regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, gender or socio-economic status deserve the best education the community can deliver.
- In the transformational power of education for students at all levels of readiness, ability and achievement.
- In educating the whole child including a focus on physical, social, emotional and intellectual development.
- Education should be challenging, enriching, inspiring and fun.
- That diversity of thought, background and experience enriches teaching and provides learning opportunities for all students as they prepare to become citizens and leaders of the 21st Century.
- Amherst area public schools are the foundation of our communities and should be universally supported.
- In community involvement, volunteerism and investment in public education.
We are committed to…
- Encouraging and supporting innovative curriculum and teaching methodologies that focus on educational effectiveness.
- Being flexible, adaptable and responsive to changing community needs.
- Funding projects that have the potential for broad (i.e. district-wide, across grade level) and/or long-term impact.
- Working in partnership with the school districts to understand educational priorities that will inform, but not dictate, AEF’s funding decisions.
- Operating ethically, with the utmost professionalism and integrity, and with clarity, transparency and accountability in all that we do within the organization and in the community.
- Continual improvement and organizational renewal through on-going self-assessment, planning and board development.
- A comprehensive approach to fundraising and responsible stewardship of all donations.